More Affordable DIY Brick Fireplace Makeovers
- Paint it the brick — I would make sure you use a high heat paint, especially if it is wood burning.
- Limewash or whitewash it to keep a subtle brick look.
- German shmear the brick.
- Roman Clay for a modern plaster look.
- Tile the surround.
- Replace only the mantel.
How do you modernize a wood burning fireplace?
How to Modernize an Old Wood-Burning Fireplace
- Install a Fireplace Mantle. This is an easy one and can give the space a fresh new modern look while providing an architectural anchor in the room.
- Have a Gas Fireplace Installed.
- Overhaul Your Hearth.
- Don't Forget the Surround.
- Add a Fireplace Insert.
How can I make my chimney draw better?
How to Increase Draft in Your Chimney
- Start with a Hot, Fast Fire. Starting a cold wood stove with a hot, fast fire will get the draft going the quickest.
- Burn Extremely Low Moisture Wood.
- Improve Airflow Around the Fire.
- Warm the Chimney Flue.
- Provide Enough Air to Replace the Air That is Lost.
Why are old chimneys so tall?
The height of a chimney influences its ability to transfer flue gases to the external environment via stack effect. Additionally, the dispersion of pollutants at higher altitudes can reduce their impact on the immediate surroundings.
How do you decorate an unused open fireplace?
Give those dull bricks new life and watch them come alive again before you!
- Create Your Own Personal Library.
- Make It Decor.
- Display Artwork.
- Get Festive.
- Be Inspired By Nature - Pinecones, Antlers And Branches.
- Turn It Into Storage.
- Get Creative - Chalkboard Fireplace.
- Stack Some Wood.
How do you make an old fireplace look modern?
Replacing a hearth and surround—either with seamless tone slabs or with ceramic or stone tiles—makes a big difference in the way a fireplace looks. You can replace an old quarry-tile hearth and cover a brick surround with four sleek granite slabs, each 1¼ inches think.